Travis, my love, was the man behind the scenes! He supported me, he did all the dirty work, and the hard stuff! He took care of the details I would have forgotten, he brainstormed, he did leg work, and then pulled a nearly 24 hour day on the day of the event!! I love you more than life itself! You really are the GREATEST!!
Daddy Norm couldn't have been any cuter! I couldn't make a sign fast enough for him to wave on Center St. He was a ball of energy! We love Papa Norm!
This is the ONLY picture of Kara, Cara and Scotty! This was the only food we ate all week I think! These guys worked their fingers to the bone! Scotty gave his whole day, his truck, his strength, and opened his wallet and shelled out many times. And as I said before.... the Cara's were my Mainstay's! On the last week when things were crazy, we all pitched in and pumped out 60 headbands!! Insane how we were blessed to do it all!
Laurel Richardson (Scotty's Sis and Photographer) Thanks for photo recording everything for us! And your yummy cinnamon rolls and cookies..........and for the Blog, and the Bow boards, etc! Obvious that she gave her ALL on this one!!
Some of my new favorite friend! Hannah, and Jean-Marie and her daughter! They are Meg's and Scotty's neighbors! These girls rock! I love them like sistas as we spent all-day together! They donated so much of themselves, their time, their salsa, and SO MUCH fun and love!
Karlie showed up with her donations, even home made stuff, as she carried her 3 day old baby around!! I can't believe it! Can you see the sacrifices made??
Rosie was the cashier as she guarded it with her life! We made over $7500 for Meg's and Scotty! Every little bit, and BIG bit helped!!
Scotty's other two sista's! Michelle and Alicia! They also donated so much time and goods! I loved their energy......they seemed to keep everything fun!
Meg's and Shellie! Some how George escaped all pic's......he and Shellie were there all day! They came up from Las Vegas! They donated huge auction items, and gave very generously! I was so happy to finally meet them and get to now them, and might I say......I think they are AMAZING!
My Mom! She, like Travis, helps me to DREAM and Dream BIG! Then she fuels my ideas and helps me out in ANY crisis! If I know selfless service, I learned it from her. She and my Dad gave their whole weekends for this event.
It is impossible to record how I felt, but I will try:
The idea for Meg's Miracle came just after the 4th of July, so my life for the last 6 weeks has been full of ideas and decisions! Meg and Scott Lee were emotionally, physically, and financially drained!! I didn't feel like I was someone who could REALLY help with the other two, but an idea came to mind how we might be able to help financially! Travis and I talked late into the night with ideas. I talked to Cara and Kara, bouncing ideas of of them. I got reactions from my clients, and finally presented the idea to Meg's! She gave us approval and we got started!
With so many ideas and a 6 week deadline, we changed directions a million times! Mindy, Cara, Kara, Travis and I, ended up working as a team to get things done! Everyone helped so consistently-- getting donations, drumming up ideas, and figuring out how to get it done. There were a million things to think about, especially the feelings and emotions of Meg's and Scott.
Once dates were set, Laurel put together a Blog, and we were off! We had tons of help from family on both sides, helping get things together and spread the word! We called our own friends and family, and used every resource we had to make things happen! We let people know what was going on, and asked for their help! People responded!
Finally the day came, Aug 29, 2009! We had many hands there to help set up, and enjoy the event! We needed the help.......we had so many things to set up!!! Headbands, bows, bow organizers, aprons, gift cards, home decorations, salsa, bread, jewelry, baby dresses, movies, cookbooks, lotions, baby eye masks, a grow board, handmade cards, gym passes, hundreds of goodies.
There was a consistent flow of people, coming to show their support! People kept bringing in donations, and those same people were spending their money for other goods. Many people would buy $10 worth of goods, and pay with a $100 bill.......asking us to keep the change.
Then Meg's and Scott showed up, and the real meaning of this event started to shine through. There were SMILES, and Laughter, and some of the biggest hugs out there. And yes, there were even some tears. But there was just a sense of joy and happiness there!
Then came the movie and entertainment! It was an amazing show! 5 different groups including a comedian, a quartet, and 3 bands! We had raffles, and finished the auction, and then started the movie! Forever Strong on a 40' screen inside the Bruin Bowl. It was simply awesome!!
With all this going on in the background, Meg's and I got a chance to talk. In her expression, I was suddenly given the gift to see what this was really all about! In trying to help financially, the emotional help came!! Meg's said, "It was like going to your own funeral!" She felt the love of others around her and Scott. They felt lifted, strengthened, and buoyed up. They had enjoyed smiles and laughter. They saw others give and give in their behalf. Some friends, some strangers--all there for them. I had an overwhelming feeling and the words, "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" popped into my mind! He will go to great lengths to show us this is true!
As soon as I realized that, I saw the hand of God in the entire planning and prep!
We had been blessed with a thought and acted upon it. I am glad that we listened, and glad that I had a husband who supported me, and didn't try, even once, to stop me from carrying this out. Infact, he brainstormed ideas, and did tons of leg work! I am constantly reminded of how awesome he is!!
I then realized that I had been given my own blessing. Even while feeling overwhelmed with a new baby, I never once felt like this project was impossible. I was given the capability to handle them both!
I realized that God has put amazing people around me, who would be on board, and help make this happen! Amazing people willing to drop their own wants to sacrifice all their extra time and energy for someone else!
Meg's Miracle was just that! A miracle that it happened, a miracle that it filled a financial AND emotional need, and a miracle that it was done in a way that they couldn't refuse!!
It has been an amazing feeling to be an instrument in the Lords hands...... Isn't that is what it's ALL about?
I have only had the feeling a few times in my life where I feel like I am in the right place, doing the right thing. This is one of them.
6 comments:
your awesome! glad i could help in a tiny way! ever need help again call me i'll be glad to help!
I'm grateful that you know where your REAL power comes from and that this entire experience has lifted, built, and helped more than just Meg. You are a Divine Daughter, Julie Kaye! Thanks for making me apart of Meg's Miracle!
It took me back to when you were 11years old, sending Scott off on his mission and we sang, "With God Nothing is Impossible." Hold His hand and you Hold Miracles in yours.
I love you.....Mom
Way to go! I love your mom's comment... what a smart lady! You'll have to tell me all about it next time I come in!
repeated tears over here! I feel the same feelings reading that that I felt that day and then that special night I will never forget at your house after dinner. I love you in a way I never knew was possible. You were so inspired and I can't believe I was the beneficiary. I would do ANYTHING for you JK..next project you tackle know that I am IN--I can crochet til my fingers fall off!! :) I adore you JKCGN
What a nice post. I again am so thankful that you put all this together with the help of everyone involved. You are a great friend. I am so glad I know you!
I've been meaning to send you a little note since the Meg's Miracle event but just haven't got around to it. Your work on this project was so amazing! I know you and your crew put tons of hours into this event and it showed! I'm not a gal of many words (especially to people I don't really know) but I truly appreciate everything you did for Megan! Your generosity with your time and money is awesome! Thank you for everything!!!
Your new friend,
Shellie
Post a Comment